The Paper Cutting Series 2010

"WITNESS"




About Me



I studied illustration at Brighton Art School under the tutorship of Raymond Briggs, after which I spent many years as a freelance illustrator. About ten years ago I became frustrated with the limitations of working to other people's briefs and decided to do my own thing.

Since then I have shown my work at various galleries in West London, and for the last couple of years I have been represented by a gallery in Marylebone where I have taken part in five exhibitions.


The Paper Cut Series

These most recent works continue with my curiosity in thoughts and feelings that are kept hidden. Sometimes disguised or unidentified, sometimes put to one side to deal with another time. Not always controllable but ultimately our choice whether to reveal or keep out of sight and this in turn usually culminates in a very potent and often destructive force.

Physically the work has become even more refined and detailed than it has been, either in the sheer quantity and concentration of figures or in the detail of each individual body or form.

In some works I hope to convey  realization through the stirring of movement and in others a feeling of things being static and resigned.

THE STRUGGLE FOR BREATH (DETAIL)







THE STRUGGLE FOR BREATH


SPILL (DETAIL)


SPILL


FIGHTING THE URGE TO RUN (DETAIL)


EVERYTHING YOU THINK YOU KNOW (DETAIL)


EVERYTHING YOU THINK YOU KNOW
FOLLOWING THE URGE TO RUN


WITNESS